I’m not sure where to start

I’m new here, new at this in general. I’m a true crime junkie, I’m working on a cyber security degree with a major in defense and forensics and I would love to assist in solving a cold case. How do I go about choosing a case to work?

3 Likes

I have found that picking one that interests me the most or something close to home is a good place to start. I am new to this also and still figuring things out too. The cases have a task list and forums so you can see what people are working on and what questions they may heave brought up. Hope this helps and there’s also a forum on getting started too! Welcome to the group!

1 Like

Welcome to the forums and thank you for joining us. Our first step is creating home pages for victims to increase visibility for unsolved cases.

Next up, we want to go through these cases and get the facts organized and make sure everything that can be done on the cases is done. To do that, we look at the task lists and see if there is data we can update.

One of the biggest things I’ve found is that old cases are not reported by law enforcement and there is no visibility. That is what we want to fix! I’d recommend checking our map and see if there are any cases near you that you could learn more about. Next up, start researching old news stories or press releases from law enforcement and try to find out what unsolved cases are in your community. Organizing a case and making it visible could be the simple catalyst that helps solve a case!

I look forward to seeing what you get started in your community to grow the map of unsolved cases!

Hello! I’m looking for assistance with a cold case if you’re interested. Message me for more details

thanx for the tips on getting started

Hello, I just joined this site. I have been researching a 50 year old rape/murder case of a friend in Humboldt county, CA.

There is a suspect who we believe committed two murders. He is in prison at this time for another murder. He is due to be released this year (2026).

I went to school with the suspect and one murder victim.

My problem is, I’m not getting any information from the sheriffs’ dept. or DA.

Any assistance would be great.

Diana

Good morning, Detective Aaron,

I am new to the forum and cannot figure out how to post. I have picked a case I would like to work on, but how do I contribute my thoughts on the case? I have lived in Southern California for 38 years, but my home state is Oklahoma, which is why I have picked a missing persons case from that region. His name is Stephan Mitchell Adams, case #2004-63. I still have family who lives in Oklahoma (Leflore County), which is not that far from Tahlequah. I read the information surrounding the case and am left with a question that I need to know. Although Stephan was giving an unknown individual a ride to Keys (12 minutes distance), he drove past Keys to Cookson (22 minutes distance) to a convenience store. My question is: Was Stephan alone at the convenience store? We cannot assume that Stephan actually dropped off the passenger at Keys. That whole thing about the ride to Keys could be a ruse set up by someone else. That’s why it is important to know whether Stephan arrived alone at the convenience store. This would explain his being upset.

My apologies! There was an error on the site that prevented some of the discussion topics from linking up. I’ve fixed the case page for Mr. Adams and you can start his case discussion here:

Hello I’m sorry to bother you but I had no choice. I came across a comment you made on a post to help locate a serial killer. I desperately need help as I currently have my second tumor in my head and I seem to be the only soul interested in proving to my nephew he was not abandoned my brother went missing 4/2/25. He was a well grounded very dedicated father who delivered for Amazon for 3 years. When according to his estranged wife who states she moved back in while seeing other people. He went to go to the store requesting her to send him a list. He has no mental health history arrest record or drug history. He has not used his social security number for anything at all no job applicationsno rentals nothing since before he left his car was found and repo months later states away and she never notified anyone until months after all this occurred.sge also sent his cash app 20,000 a good amount for a house wife there are several other details that are massive red flags i say all this to plead my case and hope u may be willing to hear me out because law enforcement have no interest in looking into this because he got into his car his self according to the last person who say they seen him a live. Who also is still driving around in his other car and has done nothing but lie according to detectives if ur willing to hear me out my number is 901-569-9428 or my email is thurmondarbie@gmail.com